Source of drought monitor data

U.S. Drought Monitor

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

The U.S. Drought Monitor is jointly produced by the National Drought Mitigation Center at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, the United States Department of Agriculture, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Map courtesy of National Drought Mitigation Center.

Source of peanut-producing counties

FSA 2021 Crop Acreage Data

https://www.fsa.usda.gov/news-room/efoia/electronic-reading-room/frequently-requested-information/crop-acreage-data/index

The maps for the drought monitor and the peanut counties are overlaid using data analysis software, and the drought score is extracted based on the score that covers the largest area for each county. Detailed methodology will be freely available upon request.
It is possible, but uncommon, that a county has more than one drought category. A county gets assigned the drought category that covers the most area. For example, if a score of Moderate Drought covers 51% of a county, and a score of Severe Drought covers the remaining 49% of the county, the Moderate Drought score gets assigned to that county.

The data cutoff for Drought Monitor maps is each Tuesday at 8 AM EDT. The maps are released each Thursday at 8:30 AM EDT. APC updates the map and data table every Thursday at mid-morning.


A  P  C    I  N  T  E  R  N  A  T  I  O  N  A  L

United Kingdom Canada Germany Japan Mexico

© 2020 American Peanut Council. All Rights Reserved.


The American Peanut Council does not discriminate in its programs on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, or marital/family status. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Individuals with disabilities who require reasonable accommodations or alternative means of program communication (Braille, large print, audiotape, ASL, Languages other than English etc.) should contact APC for assistance at 703-838-9500.